Tuesday, January 17, 2017

The New Adventure

I have run this blog for nearly seven years now, posting my experiences of every Civil War reenactment I attended, plus more.

If you have been following my blog from the beginning, you watched my rise through the ranks from private, to major, and now lieutenant colonel.

You read my stories, and hopefully laughed with me on many.

2017 is a year of change.  What we know and have become familiar with is no more, and only the future stands before us.  In the coming years, if we continue to keep hold of the familiar, then continuation will be beyond our grasp.  If we fail to change with change, then change will adjust us into oblivion.

Time changes all things, and all things must come to an end.

Lieutenant Colonel was my intended high point.  I had no desires for anything higher.  I was content with being second in command.  To me, it was like walking on a mountain path, sunlight twinkling through the trees, the aspens quaking in the breeze, and birds chirping through the air.

But then the mountain disappeared and now I must learn to fly.

Colonel Danny Linkous of the Independent Guard Battalion resigned his commission, and now I command the battalion.  It was not something I sought or wanted, but it is now something I have.  There comes a time for every person where we can either retreat from a challenge, or courageously wrestle it to victory.  I choose victory.

Over the years of my blog, I've stepped on more than a few toes.  Some of it unintentional, some of it out of frustration.  As the commander of the Independent Guard Battalion, my responsibilities take me where I must now close down this blog.  This is my final entry.

It was a pleasure writing of my experiences.  Now a new adventure begins for me.  I'll see many of you on the field where you can join me in my adventure, and may we together find many great treasures at the end.

Russ Judge, the Confederate In Blue, signing off.

1 comment:

  1. I do hope you will maintain a blog of your new found adventures :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome, but will be moderated.