Sunday, September 8, 2013

History and Politics

Zoar OH
September 7-8, 2013

Tim Ellifrit and I rode together to Zoar for their bi-annual event.  The number of the 1st Tennessee Company B attending were small, so we fell in with the 5th Kentucky Company B.

After our experience at the last Zoar event with the Army of Northern Virginia (ANV), Capt Steiner sought out an alternative battalion to fall in with, finding the Army of the Shenandoah.  The battalion was pretty small, with only two companies, and the 5th KY being more than twice the size of the other company.
A couple of the officers of the battalion looked familiar to me--when someone pointed out they were at Reynoldsburg.  The 1st Tennessee Company H was the second company of the battalion.

The 5th Kentucky was the largest Confederate company at the event.  The Army of Northern Virginia was the largest--and only other--Confederate battalion there, with perhaps four companies.

While I was touring the sutlers, I ran into the Capt Van Wey of the 5th Texas Company A, except he was in blue.  He told me this was the only time they had ever voluntarily galvanized as Yankee.  I couldn't help but laugh at the political hole that ANV seems to have dug for itself.

Tim and I also ran into the 4th Ohio--Capt Trent Boham and Kevin Waggoner at the sutlers, where we discussed a variety of things.

At battalion drill, the commander gave his commands.  There were a lot of things that weren't right according to the school of the battalion manuals--which drove me nuts, but here, I'm only a private, so I do as commanded without question.

When we later formed for inspection prior to the battle, Pvt Zack Carte showed up with a musket that had only been fired three times since last cleaned.  It had passed company inspection, but the battalion officers were double-checking, and when the Sergeant major came to Zack, he immediately spouted how he did not have time to get his musket cleaned.

Which turned out to be a big mistake.  That Sergeant major did let the musket pass, but not without a good tongue-lashing and the assurance that the sergeant major would inspect the musket after being cleaned after the battle.

The battle turned interesting after I took my hit--our battalion slipped into the nearby woods and fought against Yankees that pursued.

After the battle Tim and I spent a few hours with the 4th Ohio watching the OSU game at  pub in town.
The chimney log for our fire
Later that evening I prepared a pork chop I brought.  Despite paying a rather high $10 for registration for Zoar, we were on our own for food.  At least I could trust the food to be good.

Sunday morning I fried up the rest of my back and remaining pork chop.   The battle was not memorable--just quick, forward, then over.

Overall we had an enjoyable weekend, but like Gettysburg for me it was mainly for being with friends.  It was an historical village, which added to the experience, but the ten dollars registration fee seemed high to me.
Youtube video of battle
Youtube video of battle, part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, but will be moderated.